Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Hers by Dawn Robertson with Review

I am weak. 
I am lonely. 
I am a slut. 
I am strong. 
I am Dominant. 
I am independent. 
I am Seven James. 

My entire life, no one has wanted me, and that was fine, because I sure as shit didn't need anyone else. Blah, Blah Blah, insert sad story here about negligent parents, and shitty siblings, and you have my life story in a nut shell. When my college boyfriend dumped me, it was just icing on the cake. Five years, and a booming career later I am here to collect my revenge. 

That was until a delicious plaything walked into the kink club I frequent, and rocked my typically un-rockable world. Causing me to break the one rule I have lived by since Daniel Alexander walked out of my life, never have sex with the same person twice. Ever. 

Warning!!!! Hers contains sexually explicit situations that may be uncomfortable for some. These include FF, FMF, and MFM interactions.

Read the Prologue to Hers Here


Dawn is a woman of many colors. Born and raised in the North-East, the youngest child of three, to two hard working, and extremely dedicated parents, she thrived on her love for creative writing. Her commitment to hard work lead her down a number of career paths over the years, stopping with her love for fiction. 

In a bold, and unexpected move, she quit her full-time nine to five gig to thrust herself into her debut erotic novel, Hers. 

Dawn is a mother, entrepreneur, and self proclaimed book whore.
Hers
By Dawn Robertson
Review by Wendy
@ Shhh, Mommy’s in the Bathroom.,.Reading
3.5 Stars

Seven James is the youngest child of hippie parents that never wanted her and an older brother (Blue) that despised her existence.  The only constant she had in her life that cared about her was her best friend Star (Also had hippie Parents.)

Seven is determined to make a better life for herself and puts herself through college.  This is where she meets Daniel Alexander, the man who takes her virginity and heart, then eventually rips out her heart by leaving her for another, more acceptable woman.

This does a number of things to Seven. She becomes very bitter, detached, determined, and hell bent on sweet revenge. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.  Seven bides her time until she is able to take Daniel down.

On the night that stage one is complete Seven goes out to her favorite club, Sinners & Swingers.  This is where she meets Levi Parker. There is something about him. He is not her usual type, but she’s in a celebrating mood and he’s on the menu.

So I am very torn on how to rate this book.  In the end I liked the book. I liked the blunt, brazen attitude of Seven. I liked how Seven developed as a person and learned to grow up. I loved Levi and his charming self.  The Sex was HAWT, but do take the warning the synopsis to heart, there are some very graphic situations.

So here is where my torn comes in.  The Author Dawn Robertson appears to want to take this in a BDSM or D/s type relationship(s), but it comes off as Seven being Bitchy/bossy with some Kinky Fuckery.  Even the scene with the owner of Sinners and Swingers, the owner relinquishes the Dominate role to Seven and gives her control of the scene, but the scene just comes off as a threesome.  So I am not sure where the Author was going with this aspect of the story.  I am not sure if it was a failed attempt at D/s or if her intention was for just plain kinky.

The secondary story in the book has to do with Seven and her relationship with her best friend with benefits Star.  Star has her own issues and demons she’s working through and at times she is downright unlikable.  I know everything that happened in this book is a lead up to what will happen in FINDING WILLOW.  The Author Dawn Robertson has a long road ahead of her to make up for Stars actions in this book and make her likable.

No comments:

Post a Comment